✨ Happy Friday Dance!!✨
I love this scene! Tom Cruise should definitely do more of this! hahaha was so surprising.
Last week we posted
The feedback was amazing! I'm so excited that you're excited for Nicky's upcoming book.
I'm even more jazzed to share with you a special Book Character Interview with the very special, Nomvula from The Prey of Gods book universe.
So the first treat we offer is that You can read the first chapter of the book
Second Treat is the Interview with Nomvula:
Tell me a little about yourself.
- Well, my name is Nomvula, and I’m ten years old. I live in the Addisen township, a long bus ride from Port Elizabeth, South Africa. I’ve never been to the city, but I hear it’s amazing—tall buildings and robots everywhere. I really like it here, too though. Everyone is friendly, except some of the kids who like to tease me about my golden eyes and my sick mother. It’s okay, you don’t have to look me in the eyes if you don’t want to. No one does.
Err, they’re quite...striking. So my sources tell me that you can fly?
- People can’t fly, silly. I mean, I used to pretend that I could, but that was way back when I was a little kid. I know the difference between real and pretend now that I’m almost a woman. Who told you about that, anyway?
- Oh, him? He says a lot of things that aren’t true. My ma says he’s dangerous. We shouldn’t talk about him.
- Mmmm. How about food? My Mama Zafu, that’s my auntie, is the most amazing cook! She takes care of me mostly, since my ma is so sick. Her beef stew just melts in your mouth. Have you ever tried it? It’s beef shins and onions and carrots and tomatoes, plus basil, rosemary, and thyme from her herb garden. Goes great with a tangy slice of beer bread fresh out of the oven. Mr. Tau makes wonderful beer bread, the best I’ve ever had.
- Well, we shouldn’t, but if we don’t tell my ma that we talked about him, then I think it’s okay. I won’t tell her. Will you?
- Good. Because Mr. Tau is amazing. He’s an artist, you know. He carves figures out of wood and sells them in the city to tourists. He also tells great stories about the olden days when all there was of the world was a giant scab of lava, then there were walking, talking tree mothers brought to life by animal spirits, and then warring demigods, and then--
- Well, sure, some of them. The ones descended from eagles could soar, high up in the air, with wings that sprouted from their backs. They flew so high, they felt like they could touch the sun! They did tricks in the sky, clouds cool against their skin. And from up there, they could see everything--the land, the ocean, and sometimes they flew so, so far to the next township over, where the kids wouldn’t tease them and make fun of them because their strange eyes or their sick, sick mother. Hey, why are you looking at me like that?
- People don’t fly.
Yes, people don’t, but do you?
- Sorry, can’t answer any more of your questions. I’ve got to fly. I mean go. I’ve got to go. Walking. Ma’s probably starving in her shack, wondering why I haven’t brought her bowl of pap to her yet. Oh, you know, here’s a great recipe for beer bread, if you’re interested. It’s really good. You’ll love it, I promise. Okay, thanks, bye!
3rd Treat is this AWESOME
Harper Voyager Trade Paperback Original
A new voice in the tradition of Lauren Beukes, Ian McDonald, and Nnedi Okorafor comes a fantastic, boundary-challenging tale, set in a South African locale both familiar and yet utterly new, which braids elements of science fiction, fantasy, horror, and dark humor
Add THE PREY OF GODS to your GoodReads TBR now
Pre-Order your copy of THE PREY OF GODS
WIN! WIN! WIN!
WIN! WIN! WIN!
Subscribe to Nicky Drayden's awesome email list & stand a chance to WIN your very own copy of THE PREY OF GODS
If you can't wait until June for Nicky Drayden's new release The Prey of Gods, here are some of her Delightfully Twisted Tales to tide you over!
ON SPECIAL FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY @ JUST 0.99 Cents!!!!